Cooking Club of America-Scam

Issue not resolved
Aug 01, 2008
review #129827

Just got this packet in the mail, complete with a magnet and a crappy bowl scraper.As a chef myself, I was sort of intrigued.

Getting this happened to coincide with subscribing to a very reputable magazine based out of Vermont, "Cooks Illustrated". Upon further research, over fifty of the initial hits I got on Google yielded very VERY negative results. Seems to be that the membership results in them sending you books with fake invoices asking you to pay them money, and the products they send you to "test" are flimsy, poorly built items that even an OC housewife could discredit. Hope this helps!

I sent it all back to them ripped up in their pre-paid envelope.

bed5515
Had an experience with Cooking Club Of America?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
barbara

May 05

I've been a member for over a decade and have yet to receive anything in the mail except the magazine, free gifts and products to try. It IS a hassle to sign up for products but I joined for the magazine, lots of good recipes and tips.

ldfrn

Aug 31, 2013

I joined the club, paid my dues and slao became a life member. now I can't even sign in to enter the "free Gift" contest. what a freaking rip off

none

Aug 17, 2013 Ozark, Alabama

its all about the cooking and recipes you not sure you win some thing big from this company i like it my self if you like to cook and learn to cook new things and enjoy the things about new recipes and new cooking tools their a lot of things i did not know was out their a man is not going to look at things like a woman does most people who join this cooking club want some things free for nothing you can not win all the time its all about learning new things and whats new to eat i get tried eating the same thing day in and day out its give me good i deals on food and ways to cooking it out doors or in doors their all ways some thing to learn thanks for your time :upset

JU JU

Jun 13, 2013 Pompano Beach, Florida

I joined the club because I thought it would be fun to try new cooking/kitchen products. I paid the 24 dollars then they wanted me to agree to allow them to bill my credit card $27.00 for 12 months calling it a LIFE TIME MEMBERSHIP..ha! I realized at that point that is very important to read every line in their materials. needless to say I threw it away. I later decided that I wanted to test products..ok..they sent me a frying ok a ceramic frying pan for $58.00 I bought it paid for it..actually I thought if this is so expensive the rest of the set must be lower in price. Then they sent me a Sauce pan..for $74.00 I said no way! I sent it back right away. Note: I Had To Pay $10.00 to return it. I thought for sure they would reimburse me for the $10.00. They just about laughed at me...said I could have called and asked for a return label no credit..to bad..ha ha. (my words to bad ha ha) I requested that they cancel all future shipments and to cancell my membership. then they wanted to know what part of the membership did I want cancelled? Long story short....be careful to read carefully every thing you receive..or you might be shockingly surprised and not in a good way. Peace Out.... :)

priscilla

Dec 04, 2012

i joined the club way back in 2000 i paid all the dues to become a lifetime member,i thought they went out of business this is 2012 they have never sent me anything,now they say i need to pay,349.00 and they want to take the payments out automatically on my card,each mo thanks for all the warning i will cancel my membership.

really frusterated

Nov 06, 2012

i can't even find where u claim your free gifts every thing else keeps poping up that i don't want i don't care bout car insurce because i ws alredy told i have the best one for me and i don't care bout how to lose wait mine is fine. i don't care bout acutions i know where plenty is. all i wnt is what cooks need not i phones or computers.

Thanks

Nov 01, 2012

I signed up for this and got the $24.00 bill,(it was supposed to be less $$ than that) Thought I would pay it online and saw where it set you up for auto pay and got concerened about them having my credit card number. Started looking around for some reviews on the company before giving them my card number. I will not be sending them any money. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience.

debraann

Oct 29, 2012

thanks for your comments. I received my welcome packet with invoice for dues. I haven't sent payment yet and won't be thanks to your warnings. I went online to request my free gifts but could not find anyplace to reserve them,the free multi-purpose grater and $100 grocery coupon card. I can't believe in this economy that companies would purposefully rip people off. Aren't we suffering enough without being hoodwinked or bamboozled by corporate America!!! Again much appreciation to your warnings!!!!!

KR

Oct 21, 2012

$25? My membership was $10,lol. The book sent was 11.99. I will say this, I'm not that far into it, and so far all of what you're saying is making sense. I never got the grater they promised, and the knife was supposed to be my second free gift. The knife came as a free gift with the first book. Funny. . .they never said anything about previewing a book.

Christina

Sep 22, 2012

Glad I seen this review. I will be spending my $24 elsewhere.

FRANCELINA MASDEU

Aug 24, 2012

I JOINED THE CLUB PAID MY FULL SUBSCRIPTION AS
LIFE MEMBERSHIP, NEVER GOT TO TEST ANY PRODUCT,THEY ALL DID WAS SEND ME POTS AND PANS AND CHARGE ME A LOT FOR THINKS I COULD HAVE BOUGHT IN A STORE AND GET DISCOUNT. HONESTLY I GOT ROB BY THIS PEOPLE, NOW I SEE IN THE WEB THEY ADVERTISE AND OFFER MEMBERSHIP FOR $3,00, PLEASEE HOW LOW CAN YOU GET. THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF LUCK, THE WHOLE COUNTRY IS FINDING OUT THEIR SCAM.

vivian

Aug 11, 2012

My sister and I both signed up and paid the $24. We have gotten nothing and she has requested her money and got something else that she had to send back before telling them to send refund or talk to her lawyer. I'm following her example.

Kerry

Aug 02, 2012

CCOA just sent me a second reminder to send back the 24 $ in dues rebate check. I did that weeks ago.Just sent it out again we shall see:)

Tom from Palm Springs

Jul 18, 2012

Do not join the club. They do not keep there word. It has been 3 months and I still have not received my free gifts. What free coupons.
This is a joke.

Gerda Weber

Jul 11, 2012

Ijoint the club mailed in my 2year dues $24.00 received a card telling me to visit freegift.cookingclub.com to request my free multi-purpose grater.Nowhere can I find a place to signe up for it.

Thankful I found this

Jul 03, 2012

Received this paperwork in the mail and thought about joining it for my daughter who likes to cook.
But it sounds like something that is just more frustration than anything.

sara

Jun 12, 2012

sooo glad I checked here before I sent off for my free gifts! Based on what I've read here, CCOA isn't worth the effort or the money. I'm not even sure how they got my info...

Slatanicslayerfan

Apr 26, 2012

Wow, I am so glad I found this site! I was falling for this but reading these comments changed my mind. With me, they are asking for two years of dues ($24) and that I must buy the book they sent me in order to receive a product to test. I really like the book they sent ($12), and I really like the ceramic knife. However, after reading about this scam, I will be sending the book back and cancelling. Thank you, PissedConsumer, for making me aware...

W.B.

Mar 24, 2012

I was just about to pay dues to join the cooking club, but I am wondering has anyone enjoyed being a member of this club? They said if I pay by credit card, they would automaticly renew my membership using my credit card without my say so.(OH NO)But I will say the magazine is good.

Oldhaggis

Apr 08 Boston, Massachusetts

Hello, I have been a life member since 2004. I initially began to receive their books, but once I made it clear I wouldn't bother returning unsolicited materials, the books stopped coming. Since that time, I've gotten to try 1 thing - a utencil and gotten receipe reprints when requested. I loved the pots and pans I got when I got the life membership - - too bad my X got them :sigh . I've interacted with the membership department over changes of address, and never had any issues. I know what you all mean about the books, but honestly, I've never had a problem with this publication or it's staff. Sorry :?

1-20 of 68 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.